Stephanie Avatar

Friday, December 6, 2013

Thing #19

Social Media.....Positive or Negative?

I have found that soical media often gets a bad name. It can be quite challenging to keep everything on social media sites age appropriate. That is a battle with just about anything. The great things I discoved about social media while going through Thing 19 is Ted TV. How amazing this idea is!! It makes me excited to enter the teaching field more so, because of all the technology and resources that are readily available. Things of this nature will show students it doesn't have to be boring to be educaitonal. The biggest thing to remember about children is they want to be entertained....findng a way to bridge the gap between entertainment and education is just what Ted TV does. I love it and I can't wait to see where it goes in the future, because I will for sure use this tool.

I have used the Khan academy myself. I think it is excellent as a resource for the classroom, and in the home for students. There is literally a lesson for anything, and some really big names have partenered with Khan academy to ensure it sticks around for a long while.

People are nosey in general, that is why socal media has really taken off. For whatever reason everyone wants to know what everyone else is doing. Or oh my goodness did you see what so and so did, or look they got engaged, wow they are having a baby...so many conversations start with Did you see on facebook....

Turning that around and making it hey did you see on ted tv.... wouldn't that be music to a teachers ears. That talk in the hallway rather than what is going on now!! We have the ability to postively influence the coming generations, showing them it is not about being nosey on someones facebook, it can also be about using these technological resources to thier advantage in and out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment